Redfish message registries, plus translation

Matt Spinler mspinler at linux.ibm.com
Fri Feb 21 06:48:45 AEDT 2020

On 2/19/2020 12:03 PM, James Feist wrote:
> On 2/19/20 9:07 AM, Joseph Reynolds wrote:

>>> An added benefit of this is that it could verify JSON is in legal
>>> format before it makes it to the BMC.
>>
>> Agreed.  As an alternative, we could enhance the BMCWeb build to
>> validate the JSON message registry files that are destined for use by
>> BMCWeb.  That would catch most errors, but be weaker than converting
>> them to header files: it leaves a window where those files could be
>> modified after they are packaged into the image and before they are
>> read into bmcweb.
>
> Also if someone uses a bbappend and patches in their own files after
> the build completes (or using a different recipe entirely), they won't
> be validated.

>>> Is there any reason to have this update-able at runtime? Regardless
>>> to limit the possibility of errors I'd like to avoid constant
>>> pulling from JSON. I'd rather see the JSON being pulled at
>>> application start, so we take any impact (timing or bugs/crashes)
>>> early. However I'm not sure I know of a use-case to have this be
>>> done at runtime.
>>
>> I did not mean for the JSON files to be modifiable at runtime; I see
>> no use case for that.  I imagined that BMCWeb would read any given
>> JSON file exactly once and stay in bmcweb heap storage until the
>> server terminates.  The simplest design is to read all of the JSON
>> files from its message registry directory: all messages files (Base,
>> Oem.Redfish, etc.) and all language versions (en-us, cn-zh, etc.). If
>> the registry gets large because of many messages multiplied by many
>> translated versions and memory consumption is a concern, then we can
>> consider just-in-time reading JSON files for that language. (But
>> let's not go there now.)
>>
>> To be clear: I am also not advocating for the JSON message
>> translation files to be updatable by any BMC interface.  As far as I
>> am concerned, they can be baked into the image.  Doing it this way,
>> the messages can be updated by a firmware update.
>
> Great, I was just wondering if there was some use case I missed.

Thanks for all of the replies.

To address Andrew's earlier suggestion of gettext, that seems to only
apply to hardcoded
strings in code, which wouldn't help if we were to pull in other message
registry data files.

I think that for the sake of extensibility, being able to read in the
message registries from JSON
files is a big plus, but is that a worse translation scheme?

Does anyone with translation experience have any thoughts on the 2
different methods?