Redfish EventService Implementation

Puli, Apparao apparao.puli at linux.intel.com
Thu Feb 20 06:19:20 AEDT 2020

Hi,

   I am sorry for late response as this mail is buried under and got
struck back of my mind.

As i did mentioned in EventService design document, EventLog Monitor
service is not common across the organizations( Example: Intel uses the
redfish event logs file and inotify mechanism for monitoring the event
logs. Where as IBM uses d-bus event log mechanism and they can relay on
match rules). That said challenges with ResourceType mapping will be
different in both monitoring mechanisms. This is good point. Initially
when i started EventService design, i thought we can have mapping in
bmcweb for ResourceTypes with set of MessageID's for Logged events ( As
per Intel design) but not sure that may become difficult when we expand
supported ResourceTypes.

As per my reading from below query, You are looking at d-bus match rules
and ResourceTypes mapping which is more specific to d-bus event
logging(IBM way of implementing event logging). reading it from journal
logs will give more information but that will impact the performance to
large extent. This might be one of the reason why we (Intel) uses
Redfish message ID while logging redfish events logs to journal(You can
refer design document for same at
https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/architecture/redfish-logging-in-bmcweb.md).
In opinion, in your d-bus if you are using some kind of filter(Example
REDFISH_MESSAGE_ID) while logging in journal logs for all events and
figure out the way to monitor the journal logs without impacting the
performance, that should be ok as long as match filters are satisfied
for Redfish EventService subscriptions and supported Types(Again differs
with implementation).

Thanks,

-Appu