Redfish message registries, plus translation

Joseph Reynolds jrey at linux.ibm.com
Wed Feb 19 07:29:27 AEDT 2020

On 2/18/20 1:37 PM, Brad Bishop wrote:
>> On Feb 18, 2020, at 2:25 PM, Bills, Jason M <jason.m.bills at linux.intel.com> wrote:

>>> Matt's proposal is for BMCWeb to have two languages:
>>> 1. The implementation language.  When BMCWeb writes internal log entries, these will be in English.  The BMCWeb developers will use these to understand what is going on,  and the BMC admin may be able to read the, but they are not for BMC users.
>>> We can certainly use gettext to internationalize this. But it is not what Matt is asking about.
>>> 2. The languages used for Redfish messages.  These message are added to the HTTP response body.  These are meant to be read by any BMC REST API user.  For example, messages from the Redfish "Base" message registry Base.1.7.0.json within DSP8011.  BMCWeb has a hard-coded version of a subset of these messages, for example, the AccountModified message in https://github.com/openbmc/bmcweb/blob/master/redfish-core/src/error_messages.cpp These messages are defined in English and meant to be translated. That's what Matt is asking about.
>>> Here's my drive-by response.
>>> The current implementation is locked into English-only.  BMCWeb code sends messages like this:
>>> 1. #include https://github.com/openbmc/bmcweb/blob/master/redfish-core/include/error_messages.hpp 2. Write code like: propertyValueModified(res, "myProperty", myModifiedValue);
>>> This calls the function in error_messages.cpp which is hard-coded English.
>>> Having hard-coded function calls and hard-coded implementations helps with BMCWeb's goal for performance and startup times.
>>> https://github.com/openbmc/bmcweb/blob/master/DEVELOPING.md
>>> However, IMHO, the development process to add new Redfish messages to BMCWeb is cumbersome.  It should be as easy as copying Redfish's new JSON file.
>> To ease this, there is a script in bmcweb that is designed to parse the JSON message registries into the header file.
> So I’m a total bmcweb noob - but any reason why the runtime can’t just parse the json?  Why does it have to get converted to a header?

It can.  A few thoughts:

1. As I mentioned above: <quote> Having hard-coded function calls and
hard-coded implementations helps with BMCWeb's goal for performance and
startup times.
https://github.com/openbmc/bmcweb/blob/master/DEVELOPING.md </quote>
Having to read message registries during startup impacts performance.  I
guess bmcweb startup times would be a tiny bit slower.  Redfish message
registries are currently 40Kb ... but will grow fatter over time.

2. Having to read message registries during startup time is another
thing that can go wrong.  An error at build-time, on the BMC's file
system, or when bmcweb reads the files may prevent BMCWeb from issuing
meaningful Redfish messages.

3. Presumably one of the hard-coded messages registries would be the
ultimate fallback message registry, that is, it will be used when the
required message cannot be found in the message registry for the
requested language.  Not having a hard-coded message registry removes
this option.

4. If you are okay with the items above then we can consider a
build-time BMCWeb config option to build without any built-in message
registry and rely only on reading message registries from the BMC's file
system at BMCWeb startup time.  Here are some thoughts:
- The BMCWeb build process could just copy the Redfish message registry
into a directory BMCWeb reads during startup.
- We would need new code in BMCWeb to read and parse the message
registries.  The JSON parser is already available within bmcweb.
- We would need new code in BMCWeb to issue messages from the message
registries.

IMHO, the prospect of removing support for the built-in Redfish "Base"
message registry seems do-able.  The potential problems and
disadvantages outlined above seem small.  But I don't have a strong
opinion either way.

- Joseph