Add OEM Interface in bmcweb

Ratan Gupta ratagupt at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Feb 13 19:34:58 AEDT 2020

On 22/01/20 3:28 AM, Patrick Williams wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 12:43:57PM +0530, Ratan Gupta wrote:
>> 1) Introduce a compile time flag in the bmcweb
>> 2) Put all the OEM specific interface functionalities in the new files.
>>
>> 3) Include the new files under the compile time flag as majority of the code
>> in bmcweb written in header file.
>>
> Do we want OEM commands to be in bmcweb also?
Yes Redfish has a support for the same, However we want to minimize the
need as much as possible by
1) Put across your need in the community and find out if this is a
common requirement
2) If it is a common requirement across the openBMC community then
propose it in the DMTF.
>   Or more of a plugin
> nature like the IPMI implementation?
We tried the same earlier in the community call and discussed that we
should avoid it for the following reason.

  * People will start using the Oem here and there and the community
    will never know the requirement which can be standardized.

> It seems to me that there will be OEM commands that are not open source
> either due to NDAs on certain hardware or secret sauce in data center
> management software that various cloud vendors have.
Yes certain OEM cmds would be there which can not be standardized.
Ratan