Enabling OpenBMC Debug

Andrew Geissler geissonator at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 02:51:21 AEDT 2020

I find myself running a lot of different commands to enable a variety of
debug data on OpenBMC when debugging different issues (usually BIOS
communication issues). I also end up giving these commands to a lot of people
when recreating issues for me. Stuff like this:

# enable debug logs in journal
sed -i 's/info/debug/' /lib/systemd/journald.conf.d/journald-maxlevel-policy.conf
systemctl restart systemd-journald.service

# Enable BIOS communication service debug
sed -i 's/mboxd/mboxd -vv/' /lib/systemd/system/mboxd.service
sed -i 's/btbridged/btbridged --vv/' /lib/systemd/system/org.openbmc.HostIpmi.service
sed -i 's/ipmid/ipmid -d 0xff/'  /lib/systemd/system/phosphor-ipmi-host.service
sed -i 's/0/1/' /etc/default/pldmd
systemctl daemon-reload
systemctl restart mboxd.service
systemctl restart org.openbmc.HostIpmi.service
systemctl restart phosphor-ipmi-host.service
systemctl restart pldmd.service

I was contemplating wrapping the above stuff in a obmcutil command so instead
of telling people to do all of the above (and dealing with situations when
those commands change), I could say something like run "obmcutil debugon".

Any thoughts out there? Would finer granularity of the debug be useful?
Are there other forms of debug people would like enabled?

Andrew