Redfish EventService Implementation

RAJESWARAN THILLAIGOVINDAN rajeswaran.thillaigovindan at gmail.com
Sat Feb 1 07:53:47 AEDT 2020

Hi,

I am going through the bmcweb code for implementing Redfish EventService
based on the design document
https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/docs/+/24749. This design
is hooked to the journal based Redfish Event Logging. For life cycle
events(ResourceAdded, ResourceRemoved, ResourceUpdated),  using D-Bus
match, bmcweb can create an event log. This requires a JSON dictionary,
comprising an array of Redfish Resource Name and the D-Bus path. This
approach works only in case of one to one mapping of Redfish Resource
Name and the D-Bus path. For propertiesChanged events, if the Redfish
Resource property is not on the same D-Bus path or the Redfish Resource
property name is different from the D-Bus property name, then an
additional JSON dictionary to maintain this information is required.
With D-Bus match alone in the bmcweb, Redfish EventService can't be
fully supported. For the Message Registers and the Resource Types that
are supported, the relevant OpenBMC application must create an event log
in the journal using either the phosphor::logging::entry or
sd_journal_send() command.

After realizing that with D-Bus match in the bmcweb alone can't help to
fully implement EventService, I prefer to avoid using D-Bus match in
bmcweb. Instead, I prefer to modify the OpenBMC application that
generated the event to create an event log in the journal. Do you see
any advantage of using combination of D-Bus match in the bmcweb wherever
it is possible and changes to OpenBMC application in other cases to
create an event log ?

Your views are highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rajes