phosphor-hwmon + phosphor-fan: Fan functional properties are mismatched when unplug fan

Matthew Barth msbarth at linux.ibm.com
Thu Dec 17 09:03:10 AEDT 2020

On 12/16/20 2:03 AM, Thu Nguyen wrote:
> Hi,
>

> In the current code of phosphor-hwmon, when flag
> --enable-update-functional-on-fail is set. The fan functional DBus
> property in sensors interface will be set to false when unplug fans
> (FAN4_2).
>
> ~# busctl get-property xyz.openbmc_project.Hwmon-1644477290.Hwmon1
> /xyz/openbmc_project/sensors/fan_tach/FAN4_2
> xyz.openbmc_project.State.Decorator.OperationalStatus Functional
> b false
>
> AND the fan Value properties will keep the latest reading value before
> unplug.
>
> ~# busctl get-property xyz.openbmc_project.Hwmon-1644477290.Hwmon1
> /xyz/openbmc_project/sensors/fan_tach/FAN4_2
> xyz.openbmc_project.Sensor.Value Value
>
> d 4794
>
> ~# busctl get-property xyz.openbmc_project.Hwmon-1644477290.Hwmon1
> /xyz/openbmc_project/sensors/fan_tach/FAN4_2
> xyz.openbmc_project.Sensor.Value Value
> d 4794
>
> This cause phosphor-fan-monitor failed to detect the fan failure so
> the fan functional are wrong.
>
> busctl get-property xyz.openbmc_project.Inventory.Manager
> /xyz/openbmc_project/inventory/system/chassis/motherboard/FAN4_2
> xyz.openbmc_project.State.Decorator.OperationalStatus Functional
> b true
>
> Should phosphor-hwmon keep updating the fan value Dbus properties with
> error code when the fans is nonfunctional? Or phosphor-fan-monitor
> should also check the fan functional in sensor interface to update fan
> functional in inventory interface?

I recall this was something that would be needed in phosphor-fan-monitor
when a fan's sensor is marked faulted since the value should no longer
be trusted by phosphor-fan-monitor. A phosphor-fan-monitor configuration
option needs to be added per fan sensor to check the sensor's functional
property and use that to update the fan's functional state in inventory
as well.

Please feel free to submit a patch to add this configuration option to
drive setting the fan's functional state in inventory based on the state
of a fan sensor's functional state.

Matt