systemd clarification

Mike Jones proclivis at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 23:45:23 AEST 2020

Bruno,

I found an example meta layer that modifies a service and uses gpio to power on/off.

My bigger problem is linux. From studying the regulator driver, the intent is when controlling power to hardware that is auxiliary to the device running the kernel, like ethernet or a RF power amplifier, the driver for that unit makes client driver calls to regulator.

For obmc, reg control for the host is similar. Current designs use gpio. This is limiting for non cpu based designs with complex sequencing, and does not allow for PMBus devices with margin capability in cases where the bmc is part of system testing/diagnostics.

What is missing is dbus access to the PMBus OPERATION command.

You can’t use /dev/i2c because hwmon locks it, amd hwmon is used for sensor monitoring.

I think the solution is to configure the regulator in the devicetree such that suspend and other state like changes don’t enable/disable, the add a regulatorctl driver that dbus can use for control.

Then we have to chose a user mode interface like ioctl, debugfs, or sysfs. I’m thinking sysfs, so that it is easy to script and we don’t need a compiled user mode application.

From the point of view of cpu based systems, nobody may care. But I am looking beyond that. I see so many custom bmc designs that could use obmc with some extra infrastructure. My interest is the power control, because that my area of specialty and applications, both for work, and as a PMBus standards committee member.

Anybody have thoughts on how to structure a regulatorctl client driver user mode interface?

Mike

Sent from my iPad