IPMI implementation of Get Device ID command

Patrick Williams patrick at stwcx.xyz
Tue Aug 25 07:27:02 AEST 2020

On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 05:27:55PM +0530, TOM JOSEPH wrote:
> My proposal is to add major and minor version to the dev_id.json and
> this can be populated in the meta-xxx layer (something like this
> https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/blob/master/meta-ibm/recipes-phosphor/ipmi/phosphor-ipmi-config.bbappend).
> If the format of the VERSION_ID does not match the master tag format,
> then major and minor version will be picked from the dev_id.json. With
> this approach every company can share the upstream implementation of the
> command. Thoughts?

Hi Tom,

Would you be able to work out an example where the git-describe is used
to create this, similar to what we do with os-release?  I think this is
going to be the typical use case and we had a huge trouble getting
os-release to be done "correctly" at the beginning.  I think having a
well-tested example to copy from should limit the issues others will
have in trying to implement their own.

--
Patrick Williams