webui-vue first impressions

Gunnar Mills gmills at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Aug 21 00:18:02 AEST 2020

On 8/17/2020 11:34 AM, Ed Tanous wrote:
> "Ed, what would it take for you to switch to using webui-vue?"

Hi Ed,

Thank you for your feedback.

> What follows is my first impressions on an answer:
>
> 1. size parity with phosphor-webui.
> On the current master, webui-vue has a 40% larger binary footprint
> (614kb vs 440kb) and is still missing features that will add size.
> Lots of bmcs run on 32MB of flash, so every kb matters, even if it
> doesn't matter for the newer platforms with eMMC or larger SPI flash.
> webui-vue needs to sort out where that extra heft came from, and
> eradicate it.
It was smaller than phosphor-webuiuntil recently.
https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/webui-vue/+/35696
<https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/webui-vue/+/35696>Gets us
back under the size of phosphor-webui.
If we care about flash,we should look at removing or reducing the size of
76.0K   /usr/share/www/DMTF_Redfish_logo_2017.svg

> 2. A more thorough list of deficiencies in comparison to phosphor-webui.
> There's a "feature parity" list on the readme that makes it seem like
> it's closer than it is in practice.  In the course of writing the
> patchset above I found that webui-vue doesn't support Mutual TLS,
> doesn't support CSRF allow list (a security feature), and doesn't
> support the "next" url forward.  None of these are listed in the
> feature parity list.  Considering that's just what I found in the
> initial look for the above patchset, I'm guessing there's more use
> cases that got overlooked.  If we're dropping use cases, we need to be
> explicit about it, and document why.
Yeah, we clearly missed some features that were in phosphor-webuiwith
the rewrite. I opened some issues for these and the others we know
about. IBM will work onthe "next" URL forward. For features implemented
in phosphor-webuithat we don’t plan to support will need to
reimplemented by the community in webui-vuebut I don’t think there
should be many and for joining us on webui-vueyou get a theme-able,
translatable, fully Redfish, and actively developed GUI. 😊

Can you further explain what CSRF allow list feature we had in
phosphor-webui?

> 3. Chunked payloads
> While Phosphor-webui opted for a single, very large javascript bundle,
> webui-vue opts for multiple chunked bundles.  In phosphor, this single
> bundle was done on purpose.  Chunking works great for CDNs and
> multithreaded webservers, but tends to cause slower page loads when
> done on a bmc, as bmcweb is largely optimized for single connection
> single client single request.  Although it's able to handle multiple
> clients and multiple connections, the bmc NIC tends to get "starved"
> of bandwidth for other things, which can cause performance degradation
> if you have lots of things going on in parallel.  I'd recommend going
> back to the old paradigm, unless there's a good reason to chunk from
> the BMC.  Note the bmcweb router holds all static routes in memory
> under the assumption that there won't be very many of them.  With
> chunking, that's no longer true, and probably causes some unnecessary
> increased memory usage.
After some discussion, we agree and
https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/webui-vue/+/35696moves us
to a single, large javascriptbundle. This should have the same number of
js, html, and cssfiles as phoshor-webui.

> 4. A more stable migration strategy
> The changeover to vue got started completely from scratch, and got
> mixed with DOM changes that functionally changed the UI.  If this was
> to learn vue, and build a toy UI, that would've been fine, but the
> fact that it's now its own full repo means we have fork problems, give
> that there is no stable and specified bmcweb->phosphor-webui
> interface.  It would've been relatively straightforward to move
> phosphor-webui over to vue, by keeping the existing DOM, CSS, and
> layout, while replacing the templating and router with vue, but the
> decision was start over completely from scratch, and now openbmc has 2
> "official" webuis.  I probably missed the discussion on why a hard
> throwaway was needed here, but it seems like a series of patches that
> ONLY moved over to vue would've been much easier to manage here for
> the community as a whole, as each step of the way we can verify
> feature parity when reviewing patchsets.
In theory but we don’t think it would have been straightforward. Had we
gone with a transition it would have forced all users into this
vuerewrite, potentially some in-between larger GUI while it was in
transition. Phosphor-webuisuffers from some anti-patterns (some of the
reason why it took such crazy large commits to do any theming), we don’t
think we could have reached where we are today with a transition approach.

A separate repo we felt was the safest bet. This two repo approach
doesn’t limit the community from moving forward as the webui-vueis
maturing. This approach has been used in the community before.
https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/openbmc/2020-January/020205.html

>   As is (ignoring Kathys
> patches for a moment) there are 4 patchsets open for phosphor-webui.
> Is there a documented strategy for who is responsible for moving them
> over to webui-vue?  I didn't see anything written down, which leads me
> to believe there's no plan.
After “ignoring Kathyspatches”, I don’t see any other commit except your
“Add the option to use backend login routines”, that isn’t up for review
(Virtual Media) or already in (“Relace node-sass with dart-sass" and
“expired password”) webui-vue.
https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/q/project:openbmc%252Fphosphor-webui+status:open

As mentioned, we know we are missing some feature parity and are looking
for help from the community (raising any problems or contributing) but
we have done a lot of work to get where we are, every page on the
existing webuiexcept SNMP and Virtual Media is in webui-vueand
webui-vuehas a lot of advantages.

IBM has moved 2 of their systems to webui-vue

https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/commit/4a3fa4d6d865b46ba54f2652c82f58a406455ebc

> 5. Missed opportunity with Redfish UI
> If you're going to build a redfish first GUI, it seems like an
> opportunity where we could've used the CSDL definitions to drive and
> build a lot of the UI automatically.  Given that phosphor-webui
> doesn't do this today, this wouldn't have kept me from using
> webui-vue, but the idea that the UI can simply build itself for the
> "easy" stuff would be a massive win on productivity, and would
> probably make me more personally inclined to go help sort out 1-4
> above, as I think the end would justify the means.  As is, it takes a
> very similar "hardcode every page" approach that the phosphor-webui
> did.

We don’t see how we could reasonably do this. Would need more discussion
around this.
We also think there would be some trade-offs e.g. those Redfish Schemas
are quiet large and today are really only needed for Redfish validation,
using them in the GUI puts another requirement on them.

> Don't get me wrong here, I think all of the above can be fixed, and we
> certainly could have a great Vue based webui that works for everyone,
> but right now, the rather arbitrary "the project will stop supporting
> on angularjs on X date" doesn't ring that important to me.  Javascript
> frameworks and modules go unsupported all the time, and we're using
> several "unsupported" modules today to no ill effect.
We disagree some, we do think there is ill effect of being on an
unsupported JavaScript framework. Vue has new features released
regularly and has an active community.

> Theming is a
> nice feature, but those are mostly DOM and CSS changes, and are
> unrelated to a changeover to Vue.  Translations was attempted in
> phosphor-webui in the past, but to quote the review:
>
> "neither any clients nor any companies wanted OpenBMC translated."
> https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/phosphor-webui/+/17582
IBM does have a requirement on translation and we have heard in the GUI
workgroup meeting, other companies would be interested in translation as
well.

> Also keep in mind, I have very little seat time in webui-vue, the
> above is mostly first impressions in response to the ask from Gunnar.
> Overall, if the above can be fixed, I'd probably move to webui-vue.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Ed

Appreciate the feedback, was really helpful.

Gunnar, Yoshie, and Derick