Inconsistent performance of dbus call GetManagedObjects to PSUSensor in dbus-sensors

Sui Chen suichen at google.com
Fri Aug 14 09:33:32 AEST 2020

There are some questions that I can answer quickly, the rest may take some time:

This one: https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/dbus-sensors/+/30348

> Profiles of dbus-asio-bmk are not worth looking at until the benchmark is doing GetManagedObjects
Hmm, I believe it has been worth looking at in that it shows how a
DBus method call may be blocked by other ASIO work. But I have to
admit it hasn't shown much more insights.
Another reason I used "busctl tree" is we had observed inconsistent
performance with "busctl tree" as well.
The sequence of events obtained by having the microbenchmark execute
"GetManagedObjects" does not look much too different from that
obtained through "busctl tree": In both cases, we observe DBus calls
that "straddle" the other ASIO work that are running concurrently. An
example might be found here: https://imgur.com/a/ZiQdcX0 ; The second
row on the top panel are rectangles that represent method call-method
return pairs. One could see that the highlighted method call-return
pair takes significantly longer than the other GetManagedObjects
method calls, and during the same time, the io_context at .post row on
the lower pane is filled with activities. These activities are the
sleep() functions run by the "fake sensor reading" procedures in the
benchmark.
I am looking at a more important issue I'm aware of that is related to
the "worthiness" of the benchmark: On the BMC, DBus calls do not
appear to align perfectly with the async_read_some(null_buffers) asio
handlers as they seem to be in the microbenchmark (see the screenshot
here: https://imgur.com/a/FIUM4W6 ). This gap needs to be filled by
some more investigation.
I suspect this might be the 7.7x single-core performance difference
(as measured via LMBench) between the particular BMC and the host, as
well as the BMC's DBus being a lot busier than the host's. Perhaps
some other methods are needed in place of this "capture DBus and
capture ASIO handler logs and align them" approach.

> Another option is to make it 2 threaded, one set up dbus traffic, another for async io
We experimented with a similar architecture using "Mode 32" in
hwmon-bmk (described in
https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/openbmc-tools/+/35387),
but we only measured sensor reading times there. This method did not
speed up sensor reading much. It might help DBus though. But
eventually we want to address both sensor reading time and DBus
response time for dbus-sensors.

> ASIO priority queue
This sounds promising. We will look into it, for both the DBus
scheduling issue and the scalability differences we had observed in
hwmon-bmk.

> Can you detail what methods (in https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/openbmc-tools/+/35387 )?
On top of patch 30348, we have 8 std::threads that directly run
PSUSensors::prepareInput and do not use ASIO, and the main asio worker
thread for handling the rest of the original PSUSensor logic. This
corresponds to "Mode 7" in the description in hwmon-bmk (change
35387). We found that this roughly halves the total time it takes to
read the 247 sensors. To compare, a user would need to start a very
large number of threads (say, 32, 64 or 128) for the io_context to
achieve the same speedup as can be seen in "Mode 42" in the
descriptions of hwmon-bmk (change 35387).

> Dumps
The dump for the particular dbus-asio-bmk run is here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1xmo6vrz13zjkca/AADf1ySDYXyH6XIc7n2Hqc1Ba?dl=0
For the dump from the actual BMC, a scrub process may be needed and I
can't do it quickly yet.

I have set the mail to plaintext mode this time.