BMCWeb payloads larger than than 64MB

Joseph Reynolds jrey at linux.ibm.com
Tue Aug 11 01:55:01 AEST 2020

On 8/5/20 6:26 PM, Joseph Reynolds wrote:
> On 8/3/20 4:09 PM, Joseph Reynolds wrote:
>> This is a reminder of the OpenBMC Security Working Group meeting
>> scheduled for this Wednesday August 5 at 10:00am PDT.
>>
>> We'll discuss current development items, and anything else that comes
>> up.

...snip...

>> 4. Is there interest in enhancing OpenBMC firmware image update
>> uploads using the Redfish-specified multipart HTTP push updates (that
>> is, support the MultipartHttpPushUri property?
> Sounds good, but nobody is working on it.  We also discussed use cases
> for golden/primary/active/alternate images.

Ed,

You mentioned "For any payloads larger than 64MB, this stuff needs
revisited" on Jul 22 in
https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/bmcweb/+/34972 and I would
like to learn more about what you think the direction should be.

In the mean time it seems like the current design can tolerate a 128Mb
payload.  Do you foresee additional problems other than we've already
seen?  Examples: resource use, slow connections, and the attending
security vulnerabilities.

- Joseph