Power Supplies are Turned off after boot

Milton Miller II miltonm at us.ibm.com
Fri Aug 7 12:32:27 AEST 2020

On August 5, 2020 Mike Jones wrote:

>Now that I have webui displaying telemetry for multiple PMBus
>devices, I want to solve a power supply problem.
>
>After boot, all PMBus devices have their power turned off via an
>OPERATION command. This happens about 10-20 seconds after boot
>completes. There is a message printed saying it is disabling them,
>and one line per action. Like:
>
>VOUT 1: disabling
>
>Where VOUT 1 does not match the name of the rails in the config files
>with the name and limits. It seems like a more generic term
>indicating voltage.
>
>These devices are in the device tree and have hwmon running.
>
>What service would be capable of shutting off the supplies? It would
>have to be able to discover them, perhaps by device tree, then issue
>standard PMBus commands.

I'm guessing the host watchdog was not shutdown when your HOST
completed boot and the watchdog requesed the system power off.
Normally an IPMI message from the host will disable the watchdog.

You should be able to see the transition files run in the systemd
journal if this is the case.

if not try watching for activity by using journalctl to follow
events live in a shell.