IBM :: LEDS:: Virtual System Attention Indicator functionality

Vishwanatha Subbanna vishwa at linux.ibm.com
Wed Aug 5 22:12:20 AEST 2020

Hello,

Sending this email to get feedback on one of the features that IBM would
need to implement and is called "Virtual System Attention Indicator".

*What is a System Attention Indicator ( SAI )* : When an error happens
in the system, usually, it is isolated to a part to be replaced and the
LED for that faulty part would be turned on.

However, in some cases, it may not be possible to isolate the issue to a
particular part. In those cases, IBM systems turn on Amber LED that is
mostly at the front of the system and is called "System Attention
Indicator".

So, it means, there is some issue in the system and that demands service
events to be examined to isolate the part.

Such errors can be detected either by Platform management functionality,
BMC; or can be detected by the upper layer partitions. When we turn on
the System Attention Indicator, it would be useful to say why it is
turned on. As in, is it turned on due to an error seen by BMC or is it
due to an error seen by the partition.

If BMC encounters an error that falls under SAI, then BMC will set a
virtual SAI, which is nothing but a software setting indicating so and
is called "Platform Service Attention".

Similarly, if a partition encounters an error, then a virtual SAI will
be set and is called "Partition Service Attention".

So, the Physical SAI LED will be turned on if either of these virtual
SAs are on.

Admins should be able to clear these software settings and that would
result in clearing the real SAI LED under the cover.

As an addition, Admins can say [I know I have an issue in the system]
and would chose to turn off the real SAI LED. In that case, both the
virtual SA would be turned off as well.

My current proposal is to have an interface defined in
phosphor-dbbus-interfaces depicting these above.

The other thing is representing this in Redfish and I have it posted :

https://redfishforum.com/thread/361/virtual-system-attention-indicator-functional

Is anyone in the community having such a need / would be interested ?.

Thank you,
!! Vishwa !!