Multiple BMCs in a system: IPMB? Redfish? MCTP?

Vijay Khemka vijaykhemka at fb.com
Thu Apr 30 10:15:43 AEST 2020

Hi Nancy,
We are currently using (1) in our current multi host design. Option (3) also looks good.

Regards
-Vijay

From: openbmc <openbmc-bounces+vijaykhemka=fb.com at lists.ozlabs.org> on behalf of Nancy Yuen <yuenn at google.com>
Date: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 at 3:53 PM
To: OpenBMC Maillist <openbmc at lists.ozlabs.org>
Subject: Multiple BMCs in a system: IPMB? Redfish? MCTP?

I've talked with some people a while back (long while back) about multiple BMCs in a system.  Either for redundancy or managing separate parts of a system.   I'm wondering what other people are thinking in this area if at all.

We are considering similar designs and I'm looking into options for BMC-BMC communications.  Some BMCs may not be externally accessible. Here are some options that we've looked at:

  1.  i2c/IPMB
  2.  usbnet/Redfish
  3.  i2c/MCTP/PLDM or something else?
  4.  internal network via switch chip/Redfish or MCTP
 I'd like to reduce our use of IPMI so I want to avoid (1).