BMC health monitoring

Vijay Khemka vijaykhemka at fb.com
Thu Apr 30 07:15:23 AEST 2020

On 4/28/20, 6:23 PM, "Sui Chen" <suichen6 at gmail.com> wrote:

    Hello Vijay,

    I'm not aware of an BMC health monitoring package that is ready to use
    out of the box, but it appears we're thinking of similar things --
    monitor the BMC health.
    I guess there may be multiple parts to this:
    1) How does the BMC collect health metrics; this may be similar to
    profiling a regular Linux system; actually the list of metrics may be
    expanded to anything that may be obtained through Linux profilers, but
    the set of metrics that are most important might vary in different
    situations.
We can add all component of metrics to a dbus interface and frequency of
Polling these data can be defined by config file as well as action.
    2) How to get the metric data out of the BMC to the host or some
    monitoring entity that oversees a large number of machines; depending
    on the connectivity of the BMC it may use different methods.

Rest or redfish can take these data out of BMC via bmcweb.

    Thanks,
    Sui