Dunfell Update Status

Andrew Geissler geissonator at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 05:05:11 AEST 2020

A fairly quick update on where we are with getting back onto upstream yocto.

For those that don’t know, dunfell is the name of the next yocto release. As
Brad pointed out in a previous email, if you want your meta layers to
keep working, you’ll need to update your layer.conf with it.

The move from python2 to python3 is mostly behind us, thanks everyone,
especially Patrick (stwcx) for all the help there.

All of the CI system layers have been updated to now support dunfell.

We ran into a phosphor-webui issue that Gunnar has a fix for:
https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/phosphor-webui/+/31736

IBM systems pull in an external tool, cronus, which needs python3 updates:
https://github.com/open-power/eCMD/issues/350

The two unknown issues I'm currently stuck on are these:
https://github.com/openbmc/u-boot/issues/24 (u-boot compile fail)
https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/issues/3657 (weird sed issue)

The u-boot one I just don't understand and am hoping to get things in a state
where others can recreate and take a look.

The sed issue isn't related to dunfell, I've been seeing it without the upstream
bumps. I think the upstream bumps just make us recompile gcc which seems to
aggravate the issue.

Here are the yocto bumps for anyone interested in pulling them down:
https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/openbmc/+/31715
https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/openbmc/+/31716

It would be great to get over this hump and back on upstream yocto/OE so any
help or ideas appreciated with the remaining issues.

Some other issues that we ran into but are now fixed in upstream:
https://patchwork.openembedded.org/patch/172082/ (boost)
https://github.com/openembedded/meta-openembedded/pull/213 (new recipe)
https://github.com/openembedded/openembedded-core/commit/7bae99cd6c82fff6fa56bbddeb936e27b28e79ff

Thanks,