Call for Gardening Tasks

Andrew Jeffery andrew at aj.id.au
Thu Apr 23 13:58:51 AEST 2020

On Tue, 21 Apr 2020, at 02:35, Sui Chen wrote:
> > On Apr 11, 2020, at 8:15 AM, Andrew Geissler <geissonator at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> I think packet analysis tools such as Wireshark and graphics frame
> analysis tools such as RenderDoc, or system event-based Windows
> Performance tool like GPUView provide great examples of what people
> might expect to achieve with a visualization tool: capture, inspect and
> (sometimes) playback, across multiple layers in the software/hardware
> stack. Many similar existing tools process sequences of events, and in
> this case of BMCs, the events could be dbus messages. I found a
> prototype visualizer made at work greatly helpful in explaining to new
> team members some basic concepts and the IPMI stack on the BMC.

Not really a visualisation tool, but I'm going to plug my dbus pcap parser
here - it's helped me analyse a number of silly problems of dbus
interactions between a number of applications:

https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc-tools/blob/master/amboar/obmc-scripts/dbus-pcap/dbus-pcap

It desperately needs a README, but you can slice and dice `busctl capture`
output with DBus filter specifications, and if you like dump the output as
json for further processing.

Andrew