dbus-sensors

Matt Spinler mspinler at linux.ibm.com
Thu Apr 23 02:01:52 AEST 2020

On 4/22/2020 7:24 AM, Brad Bishop wrote:
> at 8:11 AM, Patrick Williams <patrick at stwcx.xyz> wrote:

>>> We have user-experience requirements that the server administrator
>>> must be
>>> “nagged” in this fashion when something is broken like this. Could the
>>> behavior be selectable via build switch?  Any other ideas on how to
>>> accommodate both behaviors?
>>
>> This sounds like a form of error filtering.  Shouldn't that decision be
>> done at a much higher level in the stack than down in the entity that
>> reads the hardware sensor?
>
> Thats an interesting thought.  When the error reporting code sees the
> error for the first time, it could maintain a list of errors that it
> needs to “replay” at different system events, like when the server
> powers on.

It isn't really nagging, it's more like error throttling.  At most, only
log one error per power cycle.
I have to check still, but we may also need to still log the other
errors, just with a
different severity (for debug purposes).

I kinda like this filtering idea too.  It is flexible and we would only
have to do it in one place as
opposed to in all the sensor applications we end up using, and could
also be used to change the
event log severities as mentioned above.  We will have to make sure when
creating the event log
that it contains enough information to recognize the device that is
failing so that we can filter
appropriately.