Why does OpenBMC use Avahi mDNS instead of SSDP - proposal

Joseph Reynolds jrey at linux.ibm.com
Sat Apr 18 06:02:59 AEST 2020

On 4/17/20 11:44 AM, Gunnar Mills wrote:
> On 4/16/2020 7:42 PM, Richard Hanley wrote:
>>
>>     > The members on the call really wanted to encourage OpenBMC to
>>     implement
>>     > SSDP instead.

Thanks for helping to move this forward.  IMHO, Redfish has given us
enough direction to move forward with OpenBMC.  I understand the debate,
but don't have any insight or energy to contribute.  So on a purely
practical level...

I hereby propose implementing ManagerNetworkProtocol.Oem.OpenBMC.mDNS.
Its schema would either be "Protocol" or a new "mDNSProtocol" modeled
after SSDProtocol.
The only property I need to be readwrite is ProtocolEnabled.
This allows the BMC admin to enable and disable OpenBMC's Avahi-based
mDNS discovery service.

- Joseph