objc console new design

Vijay Khemka vijaykhemka at fb.com
Fri Apr 17 09:08:45 AEST 2020

On 4/15/20, 8:01 PM, "Andrew Jeffery" <andrew at aj.id.au> wrote:

    On Wed, 15 Apr 2020, at 04:37, Vijay Khemka wrote:

    > On 4/9/20, 9:47 PM, "Andrew Jeffery" <andrew at aj.id.au> wrote:
    >

    >     On Tue, 7 Apr 2020, at 05:11, Vijay Khemka wrote:
    >     >
    >     >
    >     > On 4/5/20, 5:10 AM, "Andrew Jeffery" <andrew at aj.id.au> wrote:
    >     >
    >     >
    >     >
    >     >     On Sat, 4 Apr 2020, at 08:09, Vijay Khemka wrote:
    >     >     >
    >     >     > Hi Andrew,
    >     >     >
    >     >     > How is server launched as per new design code. With latest
    > update,
    >     >     > console server is not launching in our platform. I saw
    > config option
    >     >     > “OBMC_CONSOLE_HOST_TTY ?= "ttyVUART0" “ has been removed
    > from bb file
    >     >     > and also there is no triggering point in obmc-console-ssh
    > socket and
    >     >     > service like earlier
    > Wants=obmc-console@{OBMC_CONSOLE_HOST_TTY}.service
    >     >     >
    > <mailto:Wants=obmc-console@%7bOBMC_CONSOLE_HOST_TTY%7d.service>.
    >     >     >
    >     >     >
    >     >     > I see udev rules added in latest patch for launching server
    > which needs
    >     >     > config definition of udev, do we need this for launching,
    > please advise.
    >     >
    >     >     Yes, obmc-console now ships a udev rules file that launches
    >     > obmc-console-server
    >     >     via an `ENV{SYSTEMD_WANTS}` directive:
    >     >
    >     > If this is mandatory then why do we need to enable UDEV config as
    > it
    >     > should be enabled by default.
    >     >

    >     It's not mandatory, just I don't know the requirements of any systems that
    >     aren't using udev. The switch exists in obmc-console so you can implement
    >     support for systems without udev if that's desired. Maybe adding the switch
    >     was premature?
    >
    > As per new design, udev rule is the only one who can start server .

    That's not true, you could implement the system as Kumar's original patch[1]
    if your system doesn't use udev. But I'm not aware of systems that aren't
    using udev.

I agree almost every system is using udev so we don't need to define udev for this feature.
My question was simply we could avoid putting udev switch in config file and allowed this
udev rule by default. But anyways, everything works fine. And thanks for complete details.

    Andrew

    [1] https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__gerrit.openbmc-2Dproject.xyz_c_openbmc_meta-2Dfacebook_-2B_31091_6_recipes-2Dphosphor_console_obmc-2Dconsole-5F-252525.bbappend-2319&d=DwIFaQ&c=5VD0RTtNlTh3ycd41b3MUw&r=v9MU0Ki9pWnTXCWwjHPVgpnCR80vXkkcrIaqU7USl5g&m=6yCwYp9LE8Jn-rKITAzAUn0-vO7avNbRdQdJ_Jffcyo&s=nTiH3kUjUeiLEUVPWhBjdVQwbqYZHe4Cfo6knqAKY0o&e=