Why does OpenBMC use Avahi mDNS instead of SSDP?

Gunnar Mills gmills at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Apr 17 06:02:46 AEST 2020

On 4/8/2020 3:27 PM, Joseph Reynolds wrote:
> On 4/7/20 10:46 AM, Patrick Williams wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 07, 2020 at 09:58:15AM -0500, Joseph Reynolds wrote:
>>> Redfish specifies SSDP [1] [2] as the standard discovery service but
>>> OpenBMC uses the Avahi mDNS discovery service [3].  I asked Redfish to
>>> add mDNS to the spec [4] but they don't want to, and pointed to
>>> their spec.
>>
>> mDNS is used more in the UNIX world, SSDP is used more in Windows.

Was on the Redfish call earlier and this forum thread was discussed. The
Redfish members on the call did not totally agree with this statement.
They believe SSDP has a wider adaption than just Windows. A wider
adaption than mDNS.  Since SSDP is already in the Redfish specification
and has been adapted by Redfish implementations, adding a 2nd discovery
service would damage interoperability in Redfish.
The members on the call really wanted to encourage OpenBMC to implement
SSDP instead.
Posted the same to the forum thread.

>>> I want to allow the BMC admin to enable and disable the mDNS discovery
>>> service.  How can this be done?  Options:
>>> 1. Implement ManagerNetworkProtocol.Oem.OpenBMC.mDNS.
>>> 2. Move OpenBMC to SSDP and away from mDNS.
>>> 3. Re-ask Redfish to add a ManagerNetworkProtocol.mDNS protocol.
>> I don't see a strong reason to "move away" from mDNS, but I certainly
>> think that *any* network service should be able to be disabled by an
>> administrator to reduce the security footprint if the service is unused.
>>
>> So, either #1 or #3 seems best to me.  Adding optional SSDP support
>> would
>> be reasonable, but likely only to be added by someone who cares about
>> discovery in a Windows environment.
>
> I've appended the thread to re-ask Redfish if they would support
> ManagerNetworkProtocol.mDNS.
> https://redfishforum.com/thread/267/add-avahi-managernetworkprotocol

If think we are down to #1 or #2.

Thanks,