ipmi password storage

Vernon Mauery vernon.mauery at linux.intel.com
Wed Apr 15 08:42:48 AEST 2020

On 14-Apr-2020 05:03 PM, Joseph Reynolds wrote:

>On 4/14/20 11:46 AM, Vernon Mauery wrote:
>>On 14-Apr-2020 10:50 AM, Patrick Williams wrote:
>>>On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 04:00:15PM -0700, Vernon Mauery wrote:
>>>
>>>Vernon,
>>>
>>>Is there some background pointers on why IPMI needs to store passwords
>>>in a reverable way?  I never understood that.
>>
>>Sure. I think this is most clearly described in section 13.31 "RMCP+
>>Authenticated Key-Exchange Protocol (RAKP)" in the IPMI v2 1.1 spec.
>
>This may be a bit naive....  Is it possible to expand the RCMP+ spec
>with a new cipher suite or similar, to use a mechanism more like HTTPS
>or SSH that does not require the server to be able to produce a clear
>text password?  Given that IPMI will be used for many years, this
>seems worthwhile, and would solve the current problem.

While IPMI will not likely be abandoned for many years to come, there
are not any plans to update the specification. Redfish is supposed to be
the answer, but like IPv4 was supposed to be supplanted by IPv6 long
ago, full adoption is still dragging its feet.

That being said, I am not opposed to creating a new de-facto standard.
In the name of security, I would not be opposed to using modern crypto
protocols to establish secure IPMI sessions. This would likely cause the
adoption of redfish to be even slower, because the biggest detractor of
IPMI would be fixed.

We have the maintainer of ipmitool as a member of the OpenBMC community,
(Alexander Amelkin) so we could even implement both ends of this new
de-facto standard. I would suggest a DTLS connection on UDP 623, fully
replacing RCMP+.

--Vernon