Proposal: Add ManagerNetworkProtocol.Oem.OpenBMC.mDNS

Joseph Reynolds jrey at linux.ibm.com
Tue Apr 7 01:42:52 AEST 2020

On 4/6/20 10:23 AM, Gunnar Mills wrote:  +cc:Ratan

> On 4/6/2020 9:57 AM, Joseph Reynolds wrote:
>> Proposal: Add ManagerNetworkProtocol.Oem.OpenBMC.mDNS.
>>
>> This is a proposal to add a new Oem.OpenBMC.mDNS property to BMCWeb's
>> implementation of the Redfish ManagerNetworkProtocol.
>> This property would be used to enable and disable OpenBMC's
>> Avahi/mDNS discovery service and be similar to Redfish's SSDProtocol
>>
> Why OEM? Why not ask Redfish to add mDNS to ManagerNetworkProtocol so
> it can be enabled/disabled via standard Redfish?

Thanks for the reply.  I asked the Redfish forum in thread 267 linked
below.  The reply was to use SSDP instead of Avahi mDNS. IMHO, we either
get them to accept mDNS as an alternative to SSDP, or we are free to
implement the Oem property.  There hasn't been much discussion, so I am
plowing ahead with what I see as the most likely course.  Feel free to
contribute to the forum thread.

- Joseph