multiple telemetry designs

Brad Bishop bradleyb at fuzziesquirrel.com
Fri Oct 25 23:15:57 AEDT 2019

> On Oct 24, 2019, at 1:27 PM, Kun Yi <kunyi at google.com> wrote:
>
> (author of the collectd/RRD based design here)
> First of all, I have been silent on the mailing list for a while, without any progress on collectd. There are some fires that I need to put out first, unfortunately :(
>
> I have discussed with Piotr in the telemetry meeting. Basically we'd like to rephrase it as this: Piotr's design doesn't prevent future extension such as using collectd/rrdtool as a backend to provide telemetry data, and I reviewed the Redfish API that the design would provide, which LGTM. Therefore I +1'ed Piotr's design, given that there is already concrete work behind it, and collectd didn't work for his requirements.

That’s great.  This is exactly the sort of consensus I was looking for!  Thanks for documenting it Kun (apologies if this was already common knowledge to the telemetry workgroup).

I’ll re-state to make sure I have it right - we’ll merge Piotr’s design now, and leave yours open for the time being, until we sort out how to have a collectd based back-end live side-by-side with the custom monitor service from Piotr.

> To be able to merge the designs, either Bmcweb can use RRD library or collectd/librrd can talk D-Bus, which is some work but not insurmountable. Piotr maybe you want to call that out explicitly in your design doc?
>
> Regards,
> Kun

Thanks Piotr, James, Shawn, Kun, Justin, and Neeraj for the replies!

-brad