Continuous Integration Build Failures

Brad Bishop bradleyb at fuzziesquirrel.com
Fri Oct 25 02:56:00 AEDT 2019

> On Oct 24, 2019, at 11:49 AM, Johnathan Mantey <johnathanx.mantey at intel.com> wrote:
>
> Brad,
> No I had not seen that doc.  That said, I worked with someone here to run the CI build locally.  I got the Docker instance to perform a build on the submission that instigated this email trail. The Docker instance passed on my code changes.  Yet, the upstream Gerrit build does not.

You and any other contributor should be able to reproduce the CI build locally.  If that isn’t the case, that is a bug somewhere.  I’ll try downloading your patch.

> Now I don't have logfiles on the upstream Gerrit server to find out why.  I believe I've done my due diligence for preparing the code for a successful build.  At the end of the day the only place that matters for build success/failure is the upstream system.  As such anything that can be done to improve that system is, in my opinion, a benefit to the community.

I agree.

> My specific issue is: https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/phosphor-networkd/+/24666
> I have no idea why this is failing now that the logs have been deleted, and I can't determine a way to manually start a new build to get logs without pushing meaningless commits.  I'd rather not waste reviewers time having to see email messages about meaningless commits.

Yep, that makes sense and I can understand that point of view.  We all want to work independently.  I’ll just say that while we work to make the process better, I have no problem with you or anyone else pinging me in IRC to go kick a job where the logs have wrapped.

-brad