speed-bmc-misc driver

Andrew Jeffery andrew at aj.id.au
Wed Oct 23 11:21:43 AEDT 2019

On Wed, 16 Oct 2019, at 14:34, Yong Li wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> Regarding this bmc-misc driver, I noticed the exported sysfs entries
> are read-write. Is it possible to export the register value as
> read-only? Sometimes we only want to display the registers, but users
> cannot change them.

I strongly advise against using the driver for the reasons I outlined to Vijay.
For OpenPOWER systems we're using it, but with the knowledge that I'll
need to fix userspace when I fix the driver.

I'd prefer not to go adding features to the existing code now for that
reason, but I think controlling the read-write/read-only nature of attributes
is a good idea.

If you want to improve the "driver" so that it can be upstreamed I'm happy
to help out with that. Basically it should be changed to a light API that
enables creation of these types of attributes that can be called from
drivers for the device in question.

Andrew