Fw: RE: Telemetry Streaming from OpenBMC

Justin Thaler thalerj at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Oct 23 05:47:01 AEDT 2019

> From:   "Matuszczak, Piotr" <piotr.matuszczak at intel.com>
> To:     'Justin Thaler' <thalerj at us.ibm.com>, "kunyi at google.com"
> <kunyi at google.com>, "vijaykhemka at fb.com" <vijaykhemka at fb.com>, "OpenBMC
> Maillist" <openbmc at lists.ozlabs.org>, "Paul.Vancil at dell.com"
> <Paul.Vancil at dell.com>, "neladk at microsoft.com" <neladk at microsoft.com>,
> "gmills at linux.vnet.ibm.com" <gmills at linux.vnet.ibm.com>, vishwa
> <vishwa at linux.vnet.ibm.com>
> Cc:     Todd Rosedahl <rosedahl at us.ibm.com>
> Date:   10/01/2019 11:10 AM
> Subject:        [EXTERNAL] RE: Telemetry Streaming from OpenBMC
>

> Hi,
>
> Sorry for the late response. For now streaming shall be supported by the
> Redfish telemetry service. Every metric report can be configured to be
> pushed out as the redfish event. Currently this is work in progress.

Thanks for the response! I guess I'm still a bit confused about the
telemetry service in general. If I wanted to get an update on all metric
sensors at a rate of 1/s I think I should do the following at a high level.

1. Create a metric report. This report should defined against the
appropriate sensors, with a sample rate set to 1/s, and a duration of 1s?

2. Push the telemetry report to the BMC using RedFish.

3. Create a new SSE subscription.

This is at least my very rudimentary understanding on the subject. I was
hoping someone could add some clarity here, more specifically, how do I
get continual updates after setting up the subscription? I do apologize
as this isn't very clear to me, even after reading over the telemetry
reports, telemetry service documentation from the DMTF, and the
direction of this workgroup. I would greatly appreciate any help I can
get as well!

Thanks,
Justin Thaler