How to storage SEL in firmware chip

Bills, Jason M jason.m.bills at linux.intel.com
Wed Oct 23 03:23:52 AEDT 2019

On 10/22/2019 2:47 AM, 杜正高 wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> 1,I merge your code #12951 to my openbmc project,and modify the
> rsyslog.conf follow yours ,
> find the ipmi_sel will genated in the /var/log/,but it still can not
> storage sel while bmc reboot.
> and ipmitool sel list show the log is cleared.and record new log after
> bmc reboot.
You need to make /var/log persist to your non-volatile storage.  For our
platforms, we mount /var/log as an overlay on our flash filesystem
during init:
https://github.com/Intel-BMC/openbmc/blob/intel/meta-openbmc-mods/meta-common/recipes-phosphor/preinit-mounts/preinit-mounts/init.

> 2,While I "mkdir log " in /run/initramfs/rw/cow/var/, the SEL will
> storage the ipmi_sel,but sel list still show the new log and have no old
> log.
> Are you know the where is user the "/run/initramfs/rw/cow/var/log" to
> storage log ? and how to make the path be default?
The file is set in rsyslog.conf as /var/log.  If you didn't change that
location, then /var/log on your system could be symlinked or possibly
overlayed onto /run/initramfs/rw/cow/var/log.