x86-power-control

Bills, Jason M jason.m.bills at linux.intel.com
Tue Oct 22 10:03:44 AEDT 2019

On 10/18/2019 4:04 PM, Vijay Khemka wrote:

> On 10/18/19, 11:02 AM, "openbmc on behalf of Bills, Jason M" <openbmc-bounces+vijaykhemka=fb.com at lists.ozlabs.org on behalf of jason.m.bills at linux.intel.com> wrote:
>

>      On 10/17/2019 4:52 PM, Vijay Khemka wrote:
>      >
>      >
>      > On 10/17/19, 4:27 PM, "openbmc on behalf of Bills, Jason M" <openbmc-bounces+vijaykhemka=fb.com at lists.ozlabs.org on behalf of jason.m.bills at linux.intel.com> wrote:
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      >      On 10/17/2019 3:32 PM, Vijay Khemka wrote:
>      >      >
>      >      > On 10/17/19, 9:03 AM, "openbmc on behalf of Bills, Jason M" <openbmc-bounces+vijaykhemka=fb.com at lists.ozlabs.org on behalf of jason.m.bills at linux.intel.com> wrote:
>      >      >
>      >      >      Hi Vijay
>      >      >
>      >      >      On 10/16/2019 6:13 PM, Vijay Khemka wrote:
>      >      >      > One more question on code, I see following code requires powerButtonMask
>      >      >      > to be set before aquiring GPIO line. Please let me know who sets this
>      >      >      > powerButtonMask to true. I know this is related to GPIO passthrough but
>      >      >      > still couldn’t understand where in code it gets set until someone call
>      >      >      > set-property of dbus.
>      >      >
>      >      >      powerButtonMask is a gpiod::line object that returns true if it
>      >      >      references a GPIO line and false otherwise.
>      >      >
>      >      > I understood code but my point here is there will not be any
>      >      > gpiod::line object if powerButtonMask is defined as false. And
>      >      > initially it is defined as false means tehre will not be any line
>      >      > object created until someone sets it to true. And I don't see it
>      >      > any way to set it true other than set-property through dbus.
>      >
>      >      That's correct.  Masking the power button is something that is done by
>      >      some component outside of power-control.
>      >
>      >      For example, we currently use it with the Set Front Panel Button Enables
>      >      IPMI command to enable/disable the power button.  So, it is only masked
>      >      when requested.
>      > So to use x-86-power-control, either we need to have IPMI command to enable
>      > this or some other daemon has to set this property. Can we have this feature
>      > optional. I guess this is a prt og GPIO passthrough.
>
>      Yes, this is part of GPIO passthrough.  When the GPIO is requested,
>      passthrough is disabled in the pinctrl driver.  So, to mask the power
>      button (disable passthrough), power-control requests and holds the
>      "POWER_OUT" GPIO line.
>
>      It should behave normally without this property ever getting set.
>
>      >
> [...]

Ahh, okay.  I think I see the issue now.

The issue is that because releasing the GPIO on a system with
pass-through, sets the power button back to the hardware default
automatically, the software setting doesn't matter, so it is left at 0.

If you don't need to keep holding the GPIO line for POWER_OUT, I think
you can just add the code to revert the POWER_OUT value when the timer
expires.

Take this line:
             // Set the masked GPIO line back to the opposite value
             maskedGPIOLine.set_value(!value);
 From here:
https://github.com/openbmc/x86-power-control/blob/master/power-control-x86/src/power_control.cpp#L891

And add it here: