Re: Recommendations for development platforms for the ASPEED AST2500 & AST2600?

Andrew Jeffery andrew at aj.id.au
Thu Oct 17 10:25:48 AEDT 2019

On Thu, 17 Oct 2019, at 02:06, Bruce Mitchell wrote:
> Hello Andrew,
>
> > Hi Bruce
> >
> > On Wed, 16 Oct 2019, at 05:14, Bruce Mitchell wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello,
> > >

> > > I am Bruce Mitchell and I work for Phoenix Technologies Ltd. as a BMC
> > > firmware Engineer.
> > >
> > > Phoenix Technologies Ltd. is developing an OpenBMC
> > > (https://www.openbmc.org/ , not the Facebook flavor) product.
> >
> > FYI, the projects have united (and the result lives under the Linux Foundation).
>
> It seems the people at American Portwell Technology do not actually know that
> When I enquired about their Neptune Alpha OpenBMC development kit
> https://portwell.com/solutions/openBMC.php
>

> > > Our intent is also to be a valuable contributing member to the OpenBMC project.
> >
> > Great! Looking forward to your contributions.
> >

> > > We will be initially developing for the ASPEED Technology Inc. AST2500
> > > followed by the AST2600 BMC SoC.
> > >
> > > Do you have any suggestion of available hardware development platforms
> > > for the ASPEED AST2500 & AST2600?
> >
> > Unfortunately there isn't anything that is both cheap and easy to acquire that I'm aware of. Hopefully others can chime in if they know things that I don't, but this is an issue that's cropped up in the past and hasn't been resolved.
> >
> > I think the cheapest anyone has found was a system (motherboard, cheap x86-64 CPU and RAM) that was about $800AU, but I'd have to dig out the details on what that was exactly (and it may have been AST2400-based).
>
> Easily affordable is desirable, but easy to acquire is of more
> importance presently.

Okay. Maybe browse through the list of supported machines then? Unfortunately
there's no canonical list, it's more a matter of looking through each OEM's meta
layer at what machines are supported that suit your needs. Currently we support
various x86-64, ARM and POWER hosts.

Hopefully others have better suggestions though :)

Andrew