The type of sensor value in redfish should be double or int64?

Brad Bishop bradleyb at fuzziesquirrel.com
Wed Oct 16 06:21:08 AEDT 2019

at 1:07 PM, Ed Tanous <ed.tanous at intel.com> wrote:

> On 10/15/19 8:17 AM, Patrick Venture wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 7:57 PM Carol Wang <karo33bug at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I tried to override sensor values with redfish Patch, referring to the
>>> Voltages example of
>>> https://github.com/openbmc/bmcweb/search?q=413961de&type=Commits, but
>>> met an error "Invalid argument". Comparing the code
>>> https://github.com/openbmc/bmcweb/blob/master/redfish-core/lib/sensors.hpp#L2192
>>> and the doc
>>> https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-dbus-interfaces/blob/master/xyz/openbmc_project/Sensor/Value.interface.yaml#L21,
>>> the current code uses double type, but the doc says the value type
>>> should be int64. It seems a scale difference. Why the code uses double
>>> here?
>
> To my understanding, the phosphor-hwmon sensor system doesn't support
> overriding sensor values at runtime, regardless of whether or not you
> resolved the type issues with the arguments.

I’m just curious…what is the use-case for writing a voltage sensor…or any
sensor for that matter?  What do you do with the user-supplied value when
the sensor is a piece of hardware that does not comprehend setting a
value?  This is probably my lack of Redfish-fu showing.

FWIW when I originally defined the Sensor.Value interface, it was meant to
be read only.  In fact the documentation says this, even if it is not
enforced anywhere:

     All Sensor.Value properties are read-only.

If a device provides some kind of control mechanism there are other
interfaces for expressing/modeling those, typically/ideally in the control
namespace.