New docs - provision and administer the BMC

Joseph Reynolds jrey at linux.ibm.com
Fri Oct 11 05:53:41 AEDT 2019

Team,

Can we add a new section for provisioning and administrating
OpenBMC-based systems?  It would give newcomers a more inviting
out-of-box experience, give us a place to record administrative best
practices, and (most importantly) give me a place to talk about how set
the BMC's root password per the [expired password design][].

The revised documentation flow would be:
1. The existing project README [Setting up your OpenBMC project][]
details how to build an image.
2. The new BMC provisioning section would talk about how to provision
and administrate the BMC.
3. The existing [OpenBMC Usage][] section introduces some of the BMC
interfaces.

The content for the new section would walk the admin through BMC
provisioning tasks such as:
- Accessing the BMC via ssh, Redfish, REST APIs, host interfaces, IPMI,
serial console, etc.
- Setting the BMC's initial root password.
- Adding admin and user accounts.
- Configuring IP, disabling unneeded network services, etc.

Some of this could be copied from the [expired password cheatsheet
review][] (which would be abandoned).

What do you think?

- Joseph