libpldmresponder comments

Supreeth Venkatesh Supreeth.Venkatesh at arm.com
Fri Oct 4 23:56:07 AEST 2019

Hello Deepak/all,

Sorry for the late comments/feedback.
I was looking at porting libpldmresponder and libpldm to an Arm based platform.
These are  few observations with the design, some of them were discussed during OSF OpenBMC Hackathon, summarizing them here:

Assumption was that libpldmresponder can be easily ported to Host/other Satellite/Service Management controller,
However, in the current design,

  1.  libpldmresponder implements standard Commands/APIs defined by PLDM specifications in C++.
  2.  libpldmresponder PDR, BIOS config structures are defined by PLDM specifications, However, the library uses Json format, thus making JSON parser mandatory for

Host/Service management controller firmware.

  1.  libpldmresponder has DBUS/other OpenBMC implementation dependencies, thus making portability harder.
  2.  I guess the expectation when we started with the design was that there will be one **single** library which will handle all pldm requests/responses and

upper layer application/Daemon will call the APIs provided by PLDM library to implement use cases as they fit.

  1.  Libpldm also has dependencies on OpenBMC structures/DBUS objects, making it a little harder to port.

Please let me know, how I can help fix some of these, so that it is easily portable.

Thanks,
Supreeth