phosphor-state-manager enhancements

CS20 CHLi30 CHLI30 at nuvoton.com
Mon Nov 25 13:34:55 AEDT 2019

Hi Andrew,

Regarding of Host state about BootProgress and OperatingSystemState, I didn't find any code on OpenBMC github to update these states according boot progress or OS state.
However, I only can find the initialize state about these states when Host state is OFF in phosphor-state-manager as below:

void Host::sysStateChange(sdbusplus::message::message& msg)
{
    log<level::INFO>("Received signal that host is off");
    this->currentHostState(server::Host::HostState::Off);
    this->bootProgress(bootprogress::Progress::ProgressStages::Unspecified);
    this->operatingSystemState(osstatus::Status::OSStatus::Inactive);
}

Thus, we try to update those states according BIOS POST CODE in phosphor-host-postd.
And we also design a JSON file for customer to specific their BIOS POST CODE according their Host motherboard.
Then customer can know the boot progress state when Host power ON for sure.
But, OSStatus state I just can specific Standby and Inactive, due to I didn't know how to specific detail OS state according what's condition.

I don't know whether is right place to update these states in phosphor-host-postd, I also think to implement this in phosphor-state-manager before, but might be change original design.
Could you help me to check whether those states can be updated according customer's Host MB in phosphor-state-manger? Or just implement in phosphor-host-postd as we provided?
We just finish rough version now and we will share the code in our github (https://github.com/Nuvoton-Israel/openbmc) for you refer it later.
If you have any suggestion, please don't hesitate to tell me. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Tim Lee