[openbmc-kernel]: How to make pinctrl not affect pass-through function?

www ouyangxuan10 at 163.com
Fri Nov 22 15:25:08 AEDT 2019

Dear Andrew,

Thank you for your reply. I'll elaborate my opinion as follows:

At 2019-11-22 08:31:05, "Andrew Jeffery" <andrew at aj.id.au> wrote:
>Hi Byron,
>
>I'm Cc'ing openbmc@ on this based on my earlier request (history is at
>the bottom)
>
>On Wed, 20 Nov 2019, at 18:34, www wrote:
>> Dear Andrew Jeffery,
>>
>> Thank you for your reply. I've come up with a plan. Can I trouble you
>> to see if it's ok? The brief introduction is as follows:
>> 1. write a pass-through driver; (can switch the pass through function
>> or get the status in user space)
>> 2. modify pinctrl driver;(Eliminating the influence of pinctrl on pass
>> through register,At present, the operation of GPIOD/E will affect the
>> pass through function)
>> 3. First turn off the pass through function, then turn on or off the
>> host, and then enable the pass through function.
>>
>> In this way, there is no need to detect whether GPIO has input or
>> not,and this is the real hardware pass through.
>> Do you think this is feasible?
>
>Your proposal sounds like more work than just hooking the two GPIOs
>together in userspace, so I need to understand why you're avoiding that
>approach. I have some questions:
>
>1. What mode of pass-through are you using? It comes in two flavours:
>hardware strapping that affects an entire GPIO bank or paired pass-
>through which must be explicitly muxed at runtime.

hardware strapping can be modified by software. turn off global pass-through switch,
and turn on paired pass-through(Set according to your hardware design),
The specific GPIO setting may need to be obtained from DTS.

>2. What is the requirement for hardware passthrough here (as
>opposed to doing it in userspace when the BMC comes up)? Please
>provide as much detail as you can in response so I'm clear on the
>motivation.

The hardware pass through function will be used for power button, reset button or ID button.
(Set according to your hardware design)
When some processes of BMC are hung up and kernel panic appears in BMC,
even when BMC fails to start(stop at uboot), these buttons can still be used, especially for power button.
(in this case, you can update the BMC firmware and repair the BMC firmware if you can boot into the system.)

>Another significant issue with your proposal is that removing the
>knowledge of pass-through from pinmux means that it's possible to
>achieve an inconsistent state between the intent of a pin request and
>its resulting behaviour. That's a bug that is currently not possible, so
>you will need to do a lot of work to convince me it's the right approach.

I see that when gpioD/ E is operated, it will first turn off the pass through function, and then perform other operations.
Because the previous pass through state is not saved, there is no way to restore the pass through state.
I think we should remove the operation of pass thought in gpio driver,
and then use the special pass through part to open or close the pass through function.
I know this will have a great impact on the GPIO driver part,
because you are an expert in GPIO direction, so please consult your opinion.

>Getting back to your problem rather than solutions, it's possible to view
>this as a deficiency in the GPIO subsystem and Aspeed GPIO driver: If we
>could describe that we want the pin muxed for pass-through as part of
>the GPIO request then your problem would be partly resolved, save for
>the fact that the exported GPIO would still be read-only. However, that
>issue is fully resolved by multiple sequential GPIO requests: export the
>GPIO in pass-through mode initially, and then when it comes to changing
>the host state, re-export the GPIO in non-pass-through mode so that it is
>writable, and then again re-export the GPIO back in pass-through mode
>after the host state change has been applied. This is the sequence of
>your original solution above, just without the need for additional drivers
>with ad-hoc userspace interfaces or introducing bugs into the pinctrl
>driver.
>What are your thoughts on this?

I haven't heard of this way. Would you please explain it in detail? Thank you

>A couple of final notes:
>
>a. Aspeed confirmed that GPIOs configured as passthrough are
>constrained to read-only behaviour in the GPIO controller. I haven't
>tested this to verify, but if it's possible to drive the pin then you'd
>want to be mindful of multiple current sources in push-pull or
>open/source configurations.

In my test, it's true that when enable pass through, the GPIO can only read, not write.

>b. Looking at the ast2500 driver the groups for the strapping-based
>passthrough aren't described which means some of the mutual-
>exclusion behaviour won't quite work as desired. I should fix that.

Thank you for your contribution to this part. I hope you can finish it as soon as possible. Thank you.

thanks,
Byron