Redfish Aggregator vs. RDE over PLDM

Richard Hanley rhanley at google.com
Fri Nov 22 09:24:15 AEDT 2019

Hi Deepak,

Thank you very much for this feedback.  You've been very helpful while I've
been working to brainstorm on this subject.

There were a couple of thoughts that led me down this path.

One of the difficulties I see in creating an aggregator comes in how you
slice up a system and make it discoverable.  This might be a google
specific idiosyncrasy, but imagine a case where a Redfish service is
managing a chassis, expect for two sensors which are on a different
service.  How would an aggregator know that these two chassis should be
merged together.  When I read about Platform Descriptor Records (PDR) in
PLDM it seemed to me that it was trying to solve a similar problem.

In my reading of the RDE spec, there are two main issues that it is was
addressing:
  (1) How to fit the Redfish data model into a binary protocol.
  (2) How does a device implement only a portion of a Redfish service.
Most of the spec is dealing with issue (1), but issue (2) is the same issue
that the aggregator is trying to solve.

Another thing that I'm expecting is that at some point we will have some
legacy hardware that will have trouble running an HTTP stack.

This all kind of leads me to a larger point.  Which is that if this Redfish
aggregator is designed in a certain way, it may make RDE integration easier
in the future.  I just wanted to get an idea of whether that design goal is
worth considering.

Thanks,
Richard