Add build date to image

Joseph Reynolds jrey at linux.ibm.com
Thu Nov 21 03:38:19 AEDT 2019

On 11/18/19 7:23 PM, www wrote:
> Dear Joseph,
>
> Thank you very much for your help. I just want to show the compile
> time of firmware to the user. If  only show the version, it can't
> correspond to the time. When both are displayed at the same time, the
> information will be clearer. thanks again.

Byron, thanks for that.  I think I understand your use case. However,
does this practice assume the build date is close to the date when the
software version was created?
- For example, I assume you'll merge a git commit to create a new
software version, and then build an image based on that commit.  In this
way, the build date correlates closely with the version.
- However, if you build an image from an older commit, or wait a long
time before building an image, the build date will not correlate closely
with the version.  This can be misleading and lead to errors in handling
images.

Is that a concern for you?

- Joseph

> thanks,