in-band hardware management after IPMI

Brad Bishop bradleyb at fuzziesquirrel.com
Tue Nov 12 03:55:17 AEDT 2019

Hi everyone

This is my first post to the hardware management list.  I'm Brad, I work for IBM and I'm the TSC chair of the OpenBMC project.  I've cross posted to both the OCP HW management mailing list and the OpenBMC project mailing list because I expect both audiences are interested in the discussion.

My question is mostly simple - The answers will likely not be.  I would like to know whatever anyone is willing to share about in-band hardware management plans in a post-IPMI world.  By in-band I mean applications (or firmware) running on host processors in the same server as a BMC.

Will you use Redfish?  PLDM?  A mix?  From host firmware?  From Windows?  From Linux?  From virtualized OSes?  From un-virtualized OSes?

Thanks!

-brad