Design: Setting a unique hostname to the BMC machine on first boot

Asmitha Karunanithi asmithakarun at gmail.com
Tue May 21 17:35:36 AEST 2019

Hi Team,

I have been facing a problem and the details of which is mentioned below.

Problem Description:
In OpenBMC, the hostname discovery is done by the avahi Dbus service at the
startup. In a network where there are multiple OpenBMC machines, avahi keeps
getting the hostname conflict and the service name conflict. Hence, the
problem is to find a solution that resolves these conflicts.

Background and References:
The detailed issue regarding the hostname and service name conflicts is
described in the following links.
https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/issues/1741.
https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/avahi/2018-January/002492.html
https://github.com/lathiat/avahi/issues/117

Requirements:
None.

Proposed Design:
To solve this, we are proposing a service which assigns a unique hostname to
the BMC and runs on the very first boot. one of the ways to generate the
unique
hostname is to append the machine UUID to the existing default hostname.

Alternatives Considered:
None.

Impacts:
None.

Testing:
None.

If you have any suggestions, please feel free to let me know.
--
Thanks & Regards,
Asmitha Karunanithi