CLA concerns

krtaylor kurt.r.taylor at gmail.com
Thu May 2 04:51:30 AEST 2019

Hi Timothy, You are absolutely right to examine the CLA/CCLA IP terms
and make sure that they are compatible with your product legal team.

I am not an attorney, but do have several years experience with these
things. See my questions/comments below inline.

On 5/1/19 2:38 AM, Timothy Pearson wrote:
> All,
>
> While we would like to upstream the Talos II / Blackbird BMC patches to the OpenBMC project, our legal folks will not approve the CLA.  The main concern is the patent section, since our mainboards do contain patented technology that is not part of OpenBMC, but that OpenBMC may interface with.  We are not trying to upstream any code that would result in patent action, but are very concerned that the CLA would end up granting a license for the patented technology that exists outside of OpenBMC, merely because the OpenBMC codebase is able to interface with that external technology.

Is the concern about releasing IP about the interface, in that it might
give clues to what/how the patented technology operates? What if that
interface was abstracted in some way and kept in a downstream private
(behind your firewall) fork of OpenBMC that you built and supported for
your customers?

This is a typical practice for keeping company value-add or patented
technology separate from the upstream open code base.

> The specific clause in question is:
> "...or by combination of Your Contribution(s) with the Work to which such Contribution(s) were submitted."
>
> This is ambiguous enough that legal is concerned an external entity wishing to clone the patented technology from our mainboards without a license would simply be able to merge our contributions with their own de novo code duplicating parts of the patented technology, then claim a license for the patents was automatically granted by the CLA.  As such, we are currently blocked from upstreaming code to OpenBMC, despite the fact that our patches are freely available under GPL and MIT licenses, and that those patches are not covered by any of our patents (past or future).

Patches/features contributed to OpenBMC should not contain any patented
technology. Any value-add or patented technology that you have should be
kept in your downstream fork (see above).

> Is there a way to clean up the patent section of the CLA to make it clearer that only the patches submitted are released from patent infringement claims, and that any third party modifications to those patches (or to the codebase created in part by those patches) must still be cleared by their respective authors / maintainers not to infringe on the patent rights of other contributors to the codebase?

You can imagine that requiring a developer to clear modifications of
patent infringement would be a monumental task to burden the repo
maintainer with on a per-patch basis. As said above, any patch that
would require this special treatment should be kept in a downstream
product fork.

I would like to learn more about this, and help if I could. Apologies in
advance if I have misunderstood any of your points.

Kurt Taylor (krtaylor)