usr/sbin vs usr/bin

Brad Bishop bradleyb at fuzziesquirrel.com
Wed Mar 27 21:43:16 AEDT 2019

Hi Patrick

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 10:33:01AM -0700, Patrick Venture wrote:
>Brad,
>
>Reading the anti-pattern, I was going to start moving some things out
>of sbin and into bin,
Thank you!

>I had considered why not just leave out the path in the service file
>(as a step 1) - since systemd which just load the first match in path,
Actually systemd doesn't go to the environment for this.  The
directories searched are described in systemd.service(5).

>but the anti-pattern above indicates we should use the full path in the
>service file, to make sure it runs the correct one -- at least that's
>how I am paraphrasing it.
Just because this is the recommendation in the systemd.service man page:

"it is thus safe to use just the executable name in case of executables
located in any of the "standard" directories, and an absolute path must
be used in other cases. Using an absolute path is recommended to avoid
ambiguity."

Also fully qualified paths seem to be the convention when I look at
other linux distros.

thx - brad