Default root password: 2.4 vs. 2.6

David Thompson dthompson at mellanox.com
Fri Mar 15 05:35:29 AEDT 2019

When we transitioned our OpenBMC baseline from 2.4 to 2.6
we noticed that the default root password for our platform has
changed to "0penBmc".  This appears to come from the file:
meta-phosphor/conf/distro/include/phosphor-defaults.inc:
usermod -p '\$1\$UGMqyqdG\$FZiylVFmRRfl9Z0Ue8G7e/' root;
And this password setting overrides the password we had chosen
in our machine's local.conf.sample.    We experimented but could not
find a way to prevent this override behavior.

Is this the intent with this change in 2.6 that all platforms by default
have root password of "0penBmc"?  Is there a way to have a platform
specific root password without changing "phosphor-defaults.inc"?

Regards,
Dave