[Redfish] VirtualMedia

Adriana Kobylak anoo at linux.ibm.com
Wed Mar 13 05:00:27 AEDT 2019

> I'd like to refresh the topic, since I'm seeing some traffic around
> Virtual Media, I think this is a right time :)

Good time indeed.

> 1. Using systemd to monitor /tmp/nbd-proxy.X.sock files, and based on
> any change it will start nbd-client with appropriate options, like:
> nbd-client -u /tmp/nbd-proxy.X.sock -b 512 /dev/nbdX then it will
> start "state_hook" script from the above commit with appropriate
> parameters.

One advantage of using the nbd-proxy is that it manages the disk udev
events
and polls to know when to start the "state_hook".

> 5. bmcweb calls appropriate Virtual Media DBus method,

The first point talks about systemd monitoring the socket creation,
which seems like a stand-alone service file. But here we're talking
about a DBus method that theoretically would start nbd-client?

> - Can be extended (if needed) to allow mounting other types of
> protocols,
as described in DMTF's VirtualMedia schema (NFS, CIFS, etc) all having
same
DBus interface the Virtual Media Redfish

The Redfish interface was designed to be able to mount a host from a
network share rather than proxying over a websocket, that's the reason
we haven't added the Redfish endpoint yet. Do you see us eventually
implementing the Redfish API or just sticking with websocket
implementations?