bashisms in meta-phosphor scripts

Joseph Reynolds jrey at linux.ibm.com
Fri Mar 1 08:48:00 AEDT 2019

On 2019-02-19 13:08, Mazur, Marta wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We have to cut out bash from our system and use busybox ash as the
> only shell. I found several scripts in the meta-phosphor layer that
> are not POSIX compliant and therefore are unusable without bash.

Why do you need to drop bash?  Licensing?  To save space?

> Has anyone run into this problem? Does anyone have plans to remove
> bash dependencies from this layer?

I haven't heard of any such plans, nor did I find any in the email
archives: https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/openbmc/

> Or maybe we could patch those scripts and submit the patches to
> upstream? It should increase portability to systems with any POSIX
> shell.

That approach could work.  Before you get started, we should discuss the
idea of not using POSIX scripts and not using bashisms.
If there is agreement, you might want to first document the issue here:
https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/anti-patterns.md

- Joseph