Reg sdbusplus - async handlers - D-Bus error not getting reflected

Lei YU mine260309 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 12:51:04 AEST 2019

On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 11:22 PM Thomaiyar, Richard Marian
<richard.marian.thomaiyar at linux.intel.com> wrote:

> Hi Lei,
>
> https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/sdbusplus/+/21611  is exactly what i had in mind for #2 but still looking for #1, so that error_no can be propagated, at this point of time, it is not set from D-Bus daemon.
>
> https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/sdbusplus/+/22481 - is merged, and it solves async_send, but doesn't work for async_method_call(). Any situation in which you have used in async_method_call() ?

Right, it won't work for async_method_call() due to it only returns
boost::system::error_code and data, no sdbusplus::message at all.
I am not a usual user of async_method_call() so do not meet a situation needing
to get the dbus error.
But it's true that it could be better for async_method_call() to get a proper
dbus error.

It could be achieved either by adding a custom boost::system::error_code (but
it's tricky and not well tested), or possibly adding sdbusplus::message or
sd_bus_error in the returned values (but it breaks the current interface).

@Ed @Vernon Do you have any suggestions?