Move away from default password

Joseph Reynolds jrey at linux.ibm.com
Fri Jun 21 01:30:18 AEST 2019

On 2019-06-20 02:55, Carter Su wrote:
> Having a default password is a security risk, but if per BMC has an
> unique password, it may not very convenient for customer to use.
> Customers will change the default password when they install new
> machinery, or they may creat new account and password for BMC to use.

Thank you.  I understand that concern.  How do we balance ease of use
-versus- security?
Having a well-known default password is easy to use, but too many
installations fail to change the password, which gives attackers an easy
way to take over the system.  Because of that, new laws are going into
effect, for example [CA Law SB-327][], which require the system to not
have a default password.

[CA Law SB-327]:
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180SB327

I am looking at three options:

1. Leave the default OpenBMC configuration with the default password.
That is, if you build an OpenBMC image from source, it will have the
default password.
I wouldn't change that unless until there is a better alternative.  (See
2 and 3 below.)

2. Same as option 1, but have a way to set an unique password for each
system.  Specifically, the firmware image would be identical for
multiple systems, but the password would be different for each.  You
could use randomly generated passwords, or a scheme that generates
password based on the system serial number or some other unique
identifier (such as a MAC address), with weaker or stronger security
considerations for each.  Whoever build the BMC image and loads it onto
the BMC could change the password before giving the BMC to its end user.
  As you point out, this may be very inconvenient.

3. Create a new feature: a new security mode to restrict the BMC's
operation to setting up a new account.  Specifically, when this feature
is engaged, the BMC requires you to create a userid and password before
its full function can be accessed.

- Joseph