NVME-MI temperature sensors

Benjamin Fair benjaminfair at google.com
Wed Jun 19 07:41:37 AEST 2019

On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 1:31 PM James Feist <james.feist at linux.intel.com> wrote:

> On 6/18/19 1:07 PM, Vijay Khemka wrote:
> > Team,
> >
> > I am trying to expose temperature sensor provided by NVME SSD drive. As
> > per NVME-MI spec device provides temperature sensor value at defined
> > register. Is there any Linux kernel driver, I need to enable to get
> > these sensors of a SSD device we have. I see some NVME temperature
> > sensors definition in meta-quanta/meta-gsj config.yaml and was wondering
> > how are these read.
> >
> > Any information on this would be helpful.
>
> This might be interesting to you:
> https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/dbus-sensors/+/20859

That's the MCTP implementation which is the direction everything is
moving towards.

In the short term, Quanta is working on a daemon[0] to monitor
temperature and other telemetry data over NVMe-MI on SMBus. They have
an implementation on their own GitHub[1] and are currently in the
process of upstreaming it[2].

[0] https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-nvme
[1] https://github.com/quanta-bmc/phosphor-nvme
[2] https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/phosphor-nvme/+/22560