Network Settings GUI

Ratan Gupta ratagupt at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Jun 12 13:09:36 AEST 2019

Hi Jandra,

Please find my comments inline ingreen.

Regards

Ratan Gupta

On 10/06/19 8:53 PM, Jandra A wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Here is the proposal for the Network Settings GUI:
> https://ibm.invisionapp.com/share/8ENYRVXAPFD#/319115961_Physical
> To navigate, click on any flashing blue rectangles or use the right
> and left keyboard arrows.
>
> The design is based on the needs found by our research with
> stakeholders and users.
>
> With the GUI, a user is able to assign a Fully Qualified Domain Name
> (FQDN), and choose either DHCP or static configuration, for any
> selected interface.
>
> If DHCP is chosen, the GUI will reflect the appropriate default
> gateway, DNS server, and IP address assigned by the DHCP server. If
> static is selected, users manually assign the default gateway, as well
> as multiple DNS servers and a single IP address (not including the one
> assigned by zeroconf).
>
> Despite the type of configuration selected (DHCP or static),
> zero-configuration is always on to protect the user and ensure there
> is always an IP address assigned. However, once an interface has a non
> zeroconf IP address assigned, users have the flexibility to
> permanently delete that address. Currently, users can only temporarily
> delete these using CLI; once they reboot, the addresses come back.
> Permanently removing IP addresses assigned by zero-configuration is
> important to customers who need to account for every single IP address.

Are you proposing that filter to be done at gui side? Suppose at first
boot, By default DHCP and  Zero config is enabled, In that case back end
will get two IP address

(DHCP/ZeroConfig) and suppose after that user has not disabled the
Zeroconfig than GUI will keep getting the two ipaddresses, in that case
does the GUI apply the filter

to show single IP address.

Are we planning to propose new settings for GUI for IPv6

In IpV6 we may have multiple IPaddresses on the same interface
(LinkLocal,autoconf,static)

> NOTE: The reason for limiting to a single IP address per interface is
> that our research from users and stakeholders indicates that multiple
> would never be used and in fact it could make it easy to make a
> mistake, so for this reason we will not support it in the GUI.
> Additionally, there will be no support for VLAN as it was not expected
> by users and added unnecessary confusion.

What about the existing client network deployment where management
traffic has been separated from the host traffic through VLAN?

We got this request from one of our IBM Internal team(HPC).