[Design] PSU firmware update

Adriana Kobylak anoo at linux.ibm.com
Fri Jun 7 06:31:13 AEST 2019

On 2019-06-05 22:31, Lei YU wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 5, 2019 at 10:25 PM Matt Spinler <mspinler at linux.ibm.com>
> wrote:

>> > Because the PSU firmware is part of BMC image, this seems a completely
>> > different approach, and more like part of BMC image update, is it?
>> > I would expect this should not be part of this design, what do you think?
>>
>> FYI, I am 99% sure this is how IBM needs its systems to work as well.
>> That being the case,
>>
>> will you also be handling this design?
>
> Good to know.
>
> Then a question comes up:
> In which cases PSU firmware update shall be done?
> 1. It is updated together with BMC firmware update as described by
> Vernon
>    Mauery;
> 2. It is updated independently with APIs, as described in this design
> doc.
>
> Will 1 and 2 both be valid, or only 1 is the real case and we do not
> need to
> support 2?

I see it as having a single tarball file that has the required files to
update the
BMC and the PSU. When this tarball is uploaded, then a new Version with
a Purpose
of System or some other name is created. When this Version is activated,
this
triggers the BMC updater (existing) and the PSU updater (new) to check
if all
the necessary files to perform the update of their component exist. If
yes, each
updater updates their piece and if any one fails it'd mark the Version
as Failed
(TBD on synchronizing the updaters to mark the Version as Active or
Failed).
So the PSU would be updated at the same time as the BMC, but done by its
own
updater application.

Thoughts?